"How do you deal with a fallout of Heavenly proportions? With the angelic Host's descent to Earth. Sam and Dean now face a world inhabited by thousands of powerful beings which soon form their own chaotic agendas. Before tackling the threat of the "loose nukes" roaming the globe, the Winchesters engage in their most personal conflict yet. Meanwhile, Castiel finds he's more vulnerable - and yet capable of more humanity - than ever. As the threat escalates, a way must be found to reopen the gates of Heaven and head off a demon insurrection in Hell. Throughout, darkness leaves its mark on Dean: has he finally crossed the line to protect his family?" That's the official premise for Supernatural: The Complete Ninth Season, now available on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital.
So angels have been cast out of heaven, now walk the earth, and they want Castiel's head on a pike as revenge. And since Castiel is now human, he is in some deep, deep trouble. In order to help Sam, Dean calls upon the help of Ezekiel, a friendly angel… or is he? Ezekiel must posses Sam in order to heal him and Sam can't know, so the Winchesters are back to keeping secrets from each other. And to top it all off, they have to deal with former woman of letters, Abaddon.
There's plenty of excitement in season 9 and while the same heaven vs. hell story is continued from last season, Supernatural writers know how to keep things interesting. This is definitely one of the main reasons the show is still going strong. Fans will definitely love this season from beginning to end. We're also treated to the return of favorite characters such as Bobby, Death, Garth, Charlie, and The Ghostfacers.
Regarding the technical aspects, Supernatural: The Complete Ninth Season provides the usual 1080p with a 1.78:1 aspect ratio. The visuals are more detailed than past seasons, and while there are still plenty of dark scenes, black crush isn't as evident. Colors and textures are more vivid, and things just look better overall. For audio, the Blu-ray provides English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1, and Portuguese Digital 2.0. The dialogue is clean and clear, while the music, sound fx, and ambience make excellent use of the surround and LFE channels.
For bonus features, the Blu-ray provides:
* Audio Commentaries - There are three commentaries by Misha Collins, Jeremy Carver, and Robert Singer discussing the Blade Runner, Mother's Little Helper and Bloodlines episodes.
* 2013 Comic-Con Panel - 29 minutes of Q&A with the cast and crew before the season aired.
* Behind The Scenes of Supernatural: A Fan's Perspective - A 19 minute featurette showing things on-set during a day when one lucky fan (contest winner) gets to hang out with Misha Collins and the rest of the cast and crew.
* The Men of Letters Interactive Set Experience - This is a nice interactive collection of 9 featurettes that delve into the history, lore, and secrets of the Men of Letters.
* Men of Letters: The Winchester's Legacy - More history about the Men of Letters in a 16 minute featurette.
* Designing The Men of Letters Bunker - A 10 minute featurette with production designer Jerry Wanek about how he came up with the design for the Bunker.
* Bound By Blood: Decisions and Consequences - A 21 minute featurette with the writers and producers talking about the stories covered in this season.
* Gag Reel - 8 minutes of bloopers from various episodes.
* Unaired Scenes - Cut scenes from nine of this season's episodes.
Although the series is still dealing with the Heaven vs. Hell and angels vs. demons story arcs, Supernatural has managed to keep things interesting over all this time. I look forward to season 10, but in the meantime, I think you'll enjoy Supernatural: The Complete Ninth Season with the Blu-ray providing an excellent viewing experience.
For more information, visit:
Supernatural: The Complete Ninth Season from Warner Bros.