COCO on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment|
Disclaimer: The manufacturer provided NewTechReview with a NFR unit of this product for review.
Reviewed by Scott R. Garrigus
"In Disney•Pixar’s COCO, Pixar Animation Studios’ 19th feature film, Miguel (voice of newcomer Anthony Gonzalez) dreams of becoming an accomplished musician like his idol Ernesto de la Cruz (voice of Benjamin Bratt)—despite his family’s baffling generations-old ban on music. Desperate to prove his talent, Miguel finds himself in the stunning and colorful Land of the Dead following a mysterious chain of events. Along the way, he meets charming trickster Héctor (voice of Gael García Bernal), and together, they set off on an extraordinary journey to unlock the real story behind Miguel's family history." That is the official description for COCO, now available on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD from Disney•Pixar, which has provided NewTechReview with a 4K Ultra HD copy for review.
Disney•Pixar has been on a roll since their very first feature film and with the release of COCO, their winning streak continues. COCO provides a family-friendly, heart-warming plot about a boy, his dream, and the loving support of family. The story is very well-told, with plenty of fun, action, and interesting turns that will keep both young and old audiences engaged. I found some of the best moments of the film to be when the song Remember Me is sung to Coco when she was a child, during one of the fight scenes when Dante the dog rescues Miguel from a guard, when Emelda and Hector perform together at the De La Cruz concert, and when Miquel sings Remember Me to older Mama Coco. I guarantee you'll cry during that scene, but they'll be tears of joy.
The 4K Ultra HD version of COCO includes some wonderfully colorful packaging inside of which is a 4K disc, a Blu-ray disc and a code for the Digital copy. The 4K version includes a HEVC / H.265 encode with a 2.39:1 aspect ratio that provides some of the most beautiful and vibrant scenes you'll ever see in an animated film. The exact opposite of what might think, the Land of the Dead is the most colorful. And for those who are wondering, yes, there is a significant difference between the 4K and Blu-ray presentations. Items are much more defined, colors and highlights are more realistic, and scenes are just more splendid overall. The audio is equally fantastic provided as Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD 7.1, and DTS-HD MA 5.1, the choice is yours. You'll be fully immersed in the action-filled scenes and the music is exciting and catchy.
COCO provides a bevy of bonus features including:
* Audio Commentary - Directors Lee Unkrich and Adrian Molina, and producer Darla Anderson discuss the making of the film.
* The Music of COCO - A look at how music was an integral part of the film.
* Paths to Pixar - The crew shares personal stories about how they came to work on the film.
* Welcome to the Fiesta - test footage with optional commentary about how the skeletons contribute to the land of the dead.
* How to Draw a Skeleton - Pixar artist Daniel Arriaga provides a basic tutorial on how to draw skeletons.
* A Thousand Pictures a Day - a short documentary exploring the filmmakers travels through Mexico doing research during the Day of the Dead holiday.
* Mi Familia - The cast and crew share their own memories of family that helped shape the film.
* Land of Our Ancestors - a look at how Pixar artists brought the Land of the Dead to life.
* Fashion Through the Ages - a look at how Pixar artists designed the different costumes for the film characters.
* The Real Guitar - a look at how Pixar artists designed the digital version of the De La Cruz guitar and how a master luthier created a real-life version.
* Dante - A look at the Xoloitzcuintli dog breed that inspired the design of Dante.
* How to Make Papel Picado - Pixar artist Ana Ramirez Gonzalez shows how to make this unique decoration.
* Deleted Scenes - Seven scenes that were not included in the film.
* Trailers - Six promotional videos for the film.
There's nothing like a film that combines a great story, wonderful characters, and excellent presentation, which is what viewers receive in COCO. Disney•Pixar have really outdone themselves and I can safely say this is some of their best work. You'll laugh, you'll cry and you'll be happy you took the time to watch this wonderful work of art.
For more information, visit:
* Amazon: https://amzn.to/2DZ6KpK
* Website: movies.disney.com