I am an adult male over the age of 40, so you might be surprised to learn that yes, I have seen the Hannah Montana TV show. Why, you ask? Well, in the past I've done some babysitting for the neighbors and their kids are only allowed to watch age-appropriate channels like the Disney channel, which is what they watch most of the time. As Iím sure you can guess, I'm not a fan of Hannah Montana, but I think it's a good show for kids. The same goes for Hannah Montana: The Movie.
Hannah Montana: The Movie
The story is about how Miley Stewart (Miley Cyrus) is becoming more and more involved in playing the part of Hannah Montana to the point where it is starting to affect her judgment and values. She begins to get too caught up in the superstar lifestyle resulting in neglect of her family and friends. Her father, Robby Ray (Billy Ray Cyrus), decides that enough is enough and comes up with a plan to teach Miley a lesson.
Believing they are on trip to New York for yet another Hannah Montana event, Miley soon finds out that they are actually on their way back home to visit grandma. At first, Miley doesn't take the situation too well. But when her childhood friend Travis Brody (Lucas Till) enters the picture and she starts spending more time with her family, things begin to change. Miley reconnects with her family roots.
All the while, Miley is being pursued by a persistent reporter who learns that she is keeping a secret, although he doesnít know what it isÖ or does he? You'll have to watch the movie to find out. You'll also have to watch the movie to see if the pressure of having a dual-identity is too much for Miley to bear and whether or not she decides to keep playing the part of Hannah Montana or give it all up for a simpler life.
Hannah Montana Blu-ray Bonanza
As with all Disney Blu-ray titles, the audio and video are superb. The Combo Pack provides the movie via Blu-ray, DVD, and DisneyFile Digital Copy with the Blu-ray obviously providing the best viewing experience. In addition, there is a large selection of bonus features that all Hannah Montana fans will enjoy.
* The Hoedown Throwndown Home Experience - This is a two-part Blu-ray exclusive with "Everybody Now" (14:39) showing how the cast and crew learned the dance featured in the fundraising part of the film. Then "Learn the Moves" (9:47) shows viewers how to do the dance right at home. It features choreographer Jamal Sims with Hannah Montana actors Mitchel Musso and Moises Arias.
* BD-Live - As with most Disney Blu-ray titles, this feature allows you to connect with family and friends over the Internet to watch the movie together. You'll need a Profile 2.0 player for this feature.
* Music Videos - There are 7 music videos included: "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus (3:52), "Back to Tennessee" by Billy Ray Cyrus (4:22), "You'll Always Find Your Way Back Home" by Miley Cyrus (3:49), "Let's Get Crazy" by Miley Cyrus (2:59), "The Climb" (the movie version) by Miley Cyrus (4:06), "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts (4:17) and "Crazier" by Taylor Swift (3:15).
* Fun With Hannah And The Gang - a short video (3:52) of cast bloopers.
* Deleted Scenes - There are four deleted scenes (10:35) with an intro by director Peter Chelsom explaining why they were cut. The scenes are "Jackson: I'm Pretending to Be at University", "How Are We Going to Get Hannah Down to Crowley Corners?", "Oswald and the Hannah Wigs" and "Oswald, The Ostrich and the Alligator."
* Audio Commentary - Director Peter Chelsom provides a thorough discussion about how the film was put together and how various scenes were handled, etc.
* Find Your Way Back Home - This is a three-part featurette (15:05). Part 1 has Miley Cyrus and her mom providing a tour of various places in their hometown of Franklin, Tennessee. Part 2 has Billy Ray Cyrus showing off more of Tennessee and more of the Cyrus family. Part 3 has Emily Osment showing Los Angeles and some of her favorite places there.
* I Should Have Gone To Film School with Jason Earles - This is a featurette (15:18) that provides a behind-the-scenes look at the film with introductions to some of the crew and how they played their part in the making of the movie.
Hannah Montanna is a Hit for Fans
Although the movie lacks the same energy as the TV show, I'm certain fans will still enjoy it. They will get to see a milder side to Miley Stewart, but still be entertained with some of the familiar antics of Hannah Montana. There's plenty of music to enjoy, but this is still a movie at heart and not a musical. Kids will definitely have fun learning how to do the Hoedown Throwdown Dance and the bonus features will allow them to learn more about their favorite teen idol, Miley Cyrus. If your kids are not Miley Cyrus or Hannah Montana fans, they might still enjoy the movie but I can't say for certain. Either way, Disney did a nice job on this title.
For more information:
* Hannah Montana The Movie (3-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack)
* Hannah Montana The Movie (2-Disc DVD Set)
* Hannah Montana The Movie (1-Disc Single DVD)